Incorporating Diversity Initiatives into the Workplace and Company Culture
Showcase a commitment of diversity from top level management
Have the CEO issue a statement on the company’s diversity initiatives and highlight the diverse executives of your company. This will show that your company truly does what they say they do.
Have a decision making structure that involves everyone: incorporate all cultural groups, abilities, genders, etc. that allows their voice to be heard.
Integrate a diversity initiative into your company’s brand
- Be the company that everyone wants to work for and can work for
- Clearly communicate opportunities for advancement and growth within the company
- Show that your company values diversity at all levels (entry level to executive level) and encourages employees to progress into higher level positions
Welcome and encourage nontraditional majors such as entrepreneurship, art, or global studies
Have appropriate resources and educational materials available to educate staff on cultural differences
Provide incentives for diverse hires
- Compensate HR associates
- Employee referrals
Find ways to celebrate and highlight your talent
- Office decor (add flags of the countries your workers come from)
- Cater in ethnic food
Find out if there is a need for translators, translated materials, large-print materials, etc. Ensure that everyone understands words and references used – especially safety procedures
Take on a more flexible approach to the recruitment process and consider possible barriers an applicant could encounter when applying – be mindful of language barriers.
- In person/telephone/computer mediated interviews
- Online or written applications